Paul Reeves has been leading his own brand of Laughter yoga at festivals and gatherings every summer for 20years ever since first discovering it while running the Dreamcatcher Chai Cafe at a festival. As a long time attendee at various festival healing fields with his chai cafe, he felt that it would be good to add a healing therapy session to the daily itinerary and, having come across the work of dr. Patch Adams [famous surgeon and clown] and dr. Madan Kataria of Mumbai, India, founder of Laughter yoga, he decided to ‘give it a go’, at first by just relying on the infectious nature of laughter, then by developing various exercises [ many learned from dr. Kataria ] designed to trigger spontaneous laughing.
The following information is taken from dr. Kataria’s website, www.laughteryoga.org
”What is Laughter Yoga & How can it help you?
Laughter Yoga is a revolutionary idea – simple and profound. An exercise routine, it is sweeping the world and is a complete well-being workout. Developed by a medical doctor from India Dr. Madan Kataria and it has spread across 100 countries.
- You can laugh with special guided techniques: It’s easy. Anyone can laugh for no reason without relying on humor, jokes or comedy and one can feel the benefits on the very first session!
- Real and Contagious Laughter: We initiate laughter as a body exercise in a group and with eye contact and childlike playfulness. It soon turns into real and contagious laughter.
- Oxygenates Your Body and Brain: Laughter Yoga is combination of deep breathing exercises from yoga and laughter exercises, which oxygenates our body and brain, makes us feel more healthy and energetic.
Scientifically Proven Benefits
The concept of Laughter Yoga is based on a scientific fact that the body cannot differentiate between fake and real laughter. One gets the same physiological and psychological benefits.
Clinical research conducted at Bangalore, India and in the United States has proved that Laughter lowers the level of stress hormones (epinephrine, cortisol, etc) in the blood.
5 Benefits of Laughter Yoga
- Good Mood and More Laughter: Laughter Yoga helps to change your mood within minutes by releasing certain chemicals from your brain cells called endorphins. You will remain cheerful and in a good mood throughout the day and will laugh more than you normally do.
- Healthy Exercise to Beat Stress: Laughter Yoga is like an aerobic exercise (cardio workout) which brings more oxygen to the body and brain thereby making one feel more energetic and relaxed.
- Health Benefits: Laughter Yoga reduces the stress and strengthens the immune system.You will not fall sick easily and if you have some chronic health conditions, you will heal faster.
- Quality of Life: Laughter is a positive energy which helps people to connect with other people quickly and improves relationships. If you laugh more, you will attract many friends.
- Positive Attitude in Challenging Times : Everyone can laugh when life is good, but how does one laugh when faced with challenges? Laughter helps to create a positive mental state to deal with negative situations and negative people. It gives hope and optimism to cope with difficult times.”
In Paul’s workshop you will learn many of the techniques developed by dr. Kataria, plus a few developed by Paul himself and you will hopefully leave feeling much better than when you started.